Tuesday 25 September 2012

Stress and exercise


These are beautiful bamboo pipes played by the wind in a Quarry in Portland
 

One of the most important aspects of health and well being in my view is dealing with stress. I believe that we all suffer from it in various ways these days as it has become part of the way we live our lives. We can achieve so much in a day that we have learnt to put ourselves under enormous pressure to do this. We are constantly available and if we manage our time effectively we can be almost 'super human' in our daily achievements. We no longer have to worry about having a washing day or a cleaning day, we fit these minor chores in around our busy schedule.

When we are no longer 'in the moment' we are creating stress for ourselves. Our brains, in an attempt to control life, are planning the next moves, reviewing the last ones in order to plan better next time. We try and control every little detail of our lives and we lose the moment that we are in now.

I believe that in order to achieve good health  we need to learn to live in the present moment. This is so easy to say and often so hard to do. Without a doubt life is difficult. I do not think I know anyone who does not have problems of one sort or another. The problems increase with worry and the 'controlling perpective' and decrease with a more philosophical approach. I realise this is simplistic. It is very difficult not to worry excessively when you are waiting for horrible test results from hospital, or cannot afford your mortgage this month.
It is often because of this need to control and this excessive worry that we become obsessed with certain aspects of our lives and ironically enough this can also include exercise.

My philosophy to fitness and health is that if we do not discover our joy in life and find the passions that bring us in the present moment, then we will either find it difficult to stick to an exercise program (this would be my category), or we can just as easily become obsessive about our health and exercise (I have a good friend who falls into this category).

On the surface we tend to admire people who are able to stick to rigorous exercise programs but in all honesty, obsession of any form is not good for your stress levels. The underlying root of their motivation is fear-based and unhealthy,  there can be costs to physical and emotional health. Too much exercise causes the body to break down physically. Bones suffer, as do tendons, ligaments, even muscles. People become more susceptible to colds and flu. Don't forget that rest repairs the body from the wear and tear of exercise and everyday life.

Whilst I need to learn to try and stick to a more regular exercise and be consistent. I do believe that I have a relatively good balance in my life currently, relaxation, mental stimulation, creative stimulation, spiritual exploration, physical exercise and healthy eating. I do believe that this balance is what is important. If you do not try and help each part of yourself then you are either in danger of falling into a depressive state (this is where I have often found myself in the past), or an obsessive state. Both of which are dangerous states for our long term health.



The mind and the body are not separate. They are connected. If you are constantly anxious then your body will be on overdrive, if you are constantly depressed then your body will believe that there is a physical problem and something will be created to fit this pattern.

The hardest thing is to take responsibility for ourselves. We do expect our bodies to carry on regardless of alcohol, junk food, lack of exercise, smoking, caffeine, pollution, chemicals in everything we touch. When it does not do its magic self healing efficiently enough then we go to our doctor and expect them to wave a wand (write a prescription) so that everything can return to 'normal'. Sadly more and more of us are discovering (usually when we a reaching an age when everything is starting to head south and gradually drop off) this is not the case. Our doctors cannot always solve the problems unless we are willing to make drastic changes and take the burden of responsibility.

Sometimes when I am tired, when I am feeling low regardless of how careful I have been with food, exercise etc. I feel exhausted by my efforts to help my Lupus. I wish I could just take a pill and forget about having to take proper care of every little thing. It is tiring being responsible. But mostly I realise that my diet control, exercise and well being program is actually far more effective than any pill the doctor could give me.

Perhaps if they invent a magic rejuvenating pill with absolutely no consequences whatsoever, then I will consider it!!





No comments:

Post a Comment